Uncommon Valor

By GotDesign
I'm a bit of an oddball. And my wife would heartily agree with this statement. I am both outgoing and stoic. I'm a comedian and a recluse. I am both a soldier and an artist. I am an intellectual and deeply emotional. I am generally very calm -- it takes a lot to get me angry. And there are only a few things that will make me cry.

The one thing that is guaranteed to get me misty-eyed is the heroism of the men and women of the armed services. Having served in the U.S. Army, I feel this link to each man and woman who puts on the uniform. This bond is stronger with members, past and present, of the Army. For these reasons, and to give honor where honor is due, please read this article about SFC Paul Smith (HT: PowerLine). Sergeant First Class Smith is being given the national highest award for heroism in combat -- the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Just before the invasion of Iraq began in March 2003, Smith wrote his family a letter in which he vowed, "I am prepared to give all that I am to ensure that all my boys make it home."

Days later, in a firefight at the Baghdad airport, he took over his disastrously outnumbered platoon's .50-caliber machine gun from a wounded comrade and fired while his men scrambled to safety. When it was over, the Republican Guard troops who attacked Smith's unit were roundly defeated. Smith was dead, shot in the neck. He was the only soldier in the unit to die.

`The highest ideals'
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." -- John 15:13

Pardon me, I need a tissue.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?