Belated Respect

By GotDesign
I remember being a congressional intern in Washington in 1995 and going to cover a meeting of the Judiciary Committee where FBI Director Louis Freeh gave testimony. I can't remember what the hearing was about. But I do remember what I thought of Director Freeh -- ummm, "OK, I guess." There was nothing outstanding about him. But now my impression of Director Freeh has changed. Freeh is publishing a book about his time as Director of the FBI -- "My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton and Waging War on Terror."

Drudge has posted a brief review of the book. Here is a snippet of the post:
The director sought to distance himself from Clinton because of Whitewater, refusing a White House pass that would have enabled him to enter the building without signing in. This irked Clinton. “I wanted all my visits to be official,” says Freeh. “When I sent the pass back with a note, I had no idea it would antagonize the president,” he tells [60 Minutes'] Wallace.
I guess, in retrospect, that Freeh was an excellent, if unwitting, choice by Clinton to helm the FBI. Maybe that quiet exterior held a man deeply devoted to fulfilling the trust of his position. Just reading this brief article has made me reexamine Director Freeh. I have long said that President Clinton will, in the eyes of history, rank right up there with President Millard Fillmore -- unknown. I also have been waiting for the skeleton-filled closets to be opened and the light of day to shine in. We may find the skeletons of hither-to unknown species beasts in those closets.

I hear someone jiggling the handle.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?