The Heart of the Matter

By GotDesign
I just got back from having an echocardiogram (ECG). Why would a strapping young man (guffaw) such as myself need an ECG? Well, I'll tell you.

Back in February, I had a physical examination for the purpose of enlisting in the Kentucky National Guard. As part of this physical, I had a chest x-ray taken. When the doctor reviewed the x-ray he said my heart appeared to be enlarged and said I would need to get a second opinion by means of another chest x-ray or an ECG. I would have thought that electrocardiogram (EKG) I had during the physical should have been used to rule out any abnormalities in my heart, but I just do what I'm told. Anyway, I had my ECG today. The results are to be sent to my doctor either on Friday or Monday.

Now, my intellect knows that fears are mostly irrational -- the hobgoblins of a worst case scenario. But that doesn't stop me from letting run amok with my emotional self. In other words, I'm a little worried. I know that it is premature (at best) to worry about the ECG before the results come in but, for some reason, that doesn't stop me. Rationally speaking, I probably don't have any reason to worry -- I'm a healthy, 37-yr old male with a slight weight problem, but no real history of any problems. So I'm going to put it out of my mind (as best as I can) until Friday.

Prayers would be appreciated (and I almost said "but probably not necessary" -- which is NEVER true.) Thanks.

UPDATE: I got the results of my ECG back today. The impression given by the ECG was that I have: 1.) Borderline generalized left ventricular hypokinesis, 2.) Trivial posterior pericardial effusion, and 3.) Trace aortic insufficiency. It sounds really bad, but isn't. I just spoke to a friend of mine who is an emergency room physician. He told me that it sounds kinda mild. Regardless, I have an appointment to see a cardiologist later this month. Your continued prayers would be appreciated.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?