Hugh in Louisville

By GotDesign

Friday night was a really fun evening. Hugh Hewitt, as has been previously mentioned, made his first visit to Kentucky on Friday night. WGTK, one of Hugh's original eight affiliates, invited Hugh to Louisville to broadcast from the Frazier Historical Arms Museum. 600 of Hugh's closest friends (addicts, really) crowded the 4th floor. I got lucky and had a seat on the 4th row.

Duane played Kentucky-themed music (such as "My Old Kentucky Home") for the bumper music. Although quite a few of us wondered why Elvis' "Blue Moon of Kentucky" wasn't included. And, honestly, I could have done without the banjo-laden music.

During the first segment, Hugh interviewed Congresswoman Anne Northup. This was followed by Hugh's interview with the Frazier Museum's Director of Operations and Security, Jeffrey A. Hawkins (you might want to send a thank you note for hosting Hugh). During the second hour, Hugh talked with FoxNews' Beltway Boys -- Mort Kondracke and Fred Barnes. He also talked about President Bush's appearance and kind words at the opening of the Clinton Presidential Center. Bush's comments were more than magnanimous; especially in light of what Democrats have been saying about him.

Hugh closed out the evening with Emmet of The Unblinking Eye and Tarzana Joe. Emmet's Top 10 list was on the Top 10 Kentucky Movies Ever. But I was surprised that Emmet hadn't included Seabiscuit. Louisville, KY is most widely known for is the Kentucky Derby. And Seabiscuit is one of the most famous winners of the Derby. Anyway.... And I loved Tarazan Joe's poem! Tarazana read Robert Penn Warren's Audubon: A Vision (I will post a copy of this poem later). I was enthralled. I absolutely loved this poem. What a wonderful way to end the evening.


Hugh signing my copy of In, But Not Of.

Between broadcast segments, Hugh took time to meet with people and autograph books, etc. I got my copy of In But Not Of inscribed. I also had the opportunity to meet with Hugh after the broadcast was concluded. As I've mentioned before, we discussed some blogging ideas that I hope to be rolling out with both here and at Cardinal Coalition. I will also post some photos of my own and some that have been sent to me by Dawn at SWFw/Attitude. Hugh was given several gifts, including a Louisville Slugger baseball bat with Hugh's name branded on it, a replica Civil War Cavalry Sabre, and various and sundry smaller gifts from the event sponsors.


Sunday morning, I was pleased to meet Hugh again. As Hugh mentioned to me on Firday, he had planned to attend the 9 a.m. service at Southeast Christian Church. I met him in the halls and had the opportunity to introduce my wife, the fetching Mrs. Hiler. Hugh has also blogged about his experience at Southeast.


Watch this space! I will be updating with photos and poetry as soon as possible. And thanks for visiting GotDesign. Please be sure to leave comments.

Tell Me A Story (an excerpt from Audubon: A Vision) by Robert Penn Warren

Long ago, in Kentucky, I, a boy, stood
By a dirt road, in first dark, and heard
The great geese hoot northward.

I could not see them, there being no moon
And the stars sparse. I heard them.

I did not know what was happening in my heart.

It was the season before the elderberry blooms,
Therefore they were going north.

The sound was passing northward.


Tell me a story.

In this century, and moment, of mania,
Tell me a story.

Make it a story of great distances, and starlight.

The name of the story will be Time,
But you must not pronounce its name.

Tell me a story of deep delight.

Hat tip to Tarzana Joe for the text

 

1 comment so far.

  1. Anonymous 2:33 PM
    Great blog you have. I have a site about cache creek indian bingo. You can check it out at cache creek indian bingo

Something to say?