On The Campus

By GotDesign
When I was working on my undergrad degree, I could tell what my professors' political views were. But only because I was very involved in my academic major (diplomacy & Foreign affairs) and conversed frequently with many different professors. I remember the buzz in the Political Science department when the Republican Party took control of the House of Representatives after the elections of 1994. The groans and moans about Newt Gingrich being the Speaker. Being a conservative, I just chuckled.

But things have changed on campuses since I left the undergraduate world. A recent study by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni has documented the rampant political biases on college campuses. A WSJ Opinion Journal article mentions how nearly half of all students surveyed stated that their professors "frequently comment on politics even though it has nothing to do with class." And 29% of students felt their good grades were to some extent dependent on agreeing with the professors.

So much for Liberals being the main proponents for tolerance and critical thinking. I wasn't surprised? Were you?
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?