Unemployment Sucks

By GotDesign
I just wanted to make that clear. Unambiguous, I mean. Leaving no doubt.

At the end of September on this year, I was cut loose from my wonderful job as a criminal intelligence analyst for the KY National Guard because they did not get the accustomed level of counter-drug funding that they had previously received. Since I was the junior man in the organization, I was cut loose.

Now, I have a B.A. in Diplomacy & Foreign Affairs from Miami University, an M.B.A. from the University of Louisville, over 15 years experience in graphic design, and more than 15 years of military experience as an intelligence analyst. I am not uneducated. I am highly skilled. However, no one seems to be looking for my skills. I have been looking online, I have been asking friends and colleagues. Nothing seems to be on the grapevine.

About six weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and filed for unemployment. I am not happy about it. While I am not a prideful man, I hesitated about taking unemployment for two reasons: 1) I had hoped to find another job rather quickly (the whole "mad skills" thing), and; 2) I don't think it is governments role to pay money out to the unemployed. While I understand that the government has been taking money out of my paychecks for years to provide these unemployment checks, it is the basic principle of unemployment that bothers me. I would prefer locally operated job programs that provided, for example, resume banks, placement assistance, and the like. I don't like that I am now, to some degree, dependent on the federal government for my own subsistence.

While I could go out and flip burgers for McBurger Bell, et al, then what would all of my education and experience be doing for me? In the meantime, I'm relying on unemployment until I can go away for training for the National Guard in February. Or find a job in the meantime.

The Lord WILL provide. He has always provided for me in the past. He is providing for me even now. Praise be to God, Lord over all creation... and Lord over my employment situation, too.

P.S. If anyone wants my resume, drop me a line.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?